Why You Need An Attorney For Your Liquor License Application

On Behalf of | Jun 15, 2015 | Uncategorized |

The Benefits of Legal Help

Are liquor licenses so hard to come by in the state of Indiana? If you have recently tried to apply for one without the help of a knowledgeable business attorney, you know the answer is a resounding “yes”. According to this IndianaGazzette.com article, a proposed new restaurant called “Rocks and Reilly’s” was denied a liquor license in their desired location. In fact, this was not just an attempt for a new liquor license. The owners were simply asking for their existing license to be transferred, only to have their request denied. Here’s what reasoning is given.

“Because Indiana already has 23 liquor licenses (not including beer distributors),

and because that number substantially exceeds one license per 3,000 inhabitants,

the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board requires that an applicant for a transfer

must get approval from the receiving municipality before the PLCB

gives its final approval for the transfer.”

The Right Counsel From The Start

Now that you know that obtaining your liquor license in Indiana requires more than just filling out some perfunctory paperwork, where do you start? Our firm has helped several clients walk through this process avoiding common pitfalls along the way. We’ll conduct an interview with you about the kind of business you are planning and help you navigate the rules and regulations of the application process. Knowing the specifics of what kind of permit you are applying for is a big part of the battle. Here are some of the questions we’ll help you answer:

  • Do you need a one-way permit?
  • Or do you need a two-way permit?
  • Are you sure you don’t need a three-way permit?
  • Do you intend to sell beer only?
  • Or how about beer and wine only?
  • What if you want to sell beer, wine, and liquor?
  • Are you in the city limits?
  • What zoning laws are in place where you want to begin?
  • What kind of business is this?
  • Are you going to be restaurant/bar?
  • Is your format more of a liquor store?
  • Do you sell groceries (that sells beer, wine, and/or liquor)?
  • Is your business some other establishment that needs a liquor license?

Liquor License Legal Counsel

Whether you are just starting a business or wanting to transfer your liquor licensed business to a new location, seeking an updated permit, let us do the hard work for you. Call 716-652-0828 or Contact Hall Ricketts Gurbacki, P.C. today to help give you the best possibility for an effective permit process.