brand logoHall, Ricketts, Schuller
& Gurbacki, P.C.

When child support blows the budget

New York residents may pay child support after they get divorced. Sometimes these payments may take up a large portion of a person's salary and in this situation, some people may realize they can't afford to make these payments each month. When this is the case, people need to know what they can do. 

There are many reasons a person may be unable to pay child support. According to Very Well Family, a parent may have new medical costs that affect his or her ability to pay child support. Additionally, a parent may lose his or her job or have a change in income. Sometimes it may cost more to raise kids as they get older; children may need glasses or equipment for extracurricular activities, and all of these expenses can take a toll on a parent's budget. If a parent has a change in his or her financial circumstances, it may be possible to modify a child support order. 

When a court sets the amount of child support payments, it usually considers factors such as a person's income. When their circumstances change, people should typically speak to the New York Child Support Enforcement Office. This allows parents to file a motion for a child support modification. They may have to demonstrate how their circumstances have changed and why they can no longer afford child support payments.

Some parents may think they can work out a child support arrangement with their ex-spouse. National Family Solutions says parents cannot legally change their child support order by themselves. Most of the time, a judge has to rule on a child support modification in order for the change to be legally binding. However, it is a good idea for people to communicate with their ex-spouse so he or she understands what is going on. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hall, Ricketts, Schuller & Gurbacki, P.C.
471 Main Street
East Aurora, NY 14052

Phone: 716-243-3515
Fax: 716-652-2058
East Aurora Law Office Map