Robert H. Gurbacki
- Partner since 1987
Rob is a lifelong resident of western New York and resides in East Aurora with his wife, Jennifer. Rob grew up on Amherst, New York. His children went to Williamsville and East Aurora schools. Currently his children are grown and some are married with kids. His children attended SUNY Geneseo, Cornel Vet School, Villanova Law School and University of Pittsburgh. They now have careers of their own in biochemistry and sustainability, veterinarian, foreign service officer and an engineer. Rob is now a proud grandfather of three grandchildren with another on the way.
Due to great popular demand, Rob has become involved in nursing home planning. Many people don’t realize that health insurance and even Medicare don’t pay for long term care. People are concerned that they won’t be able to pass an inheritance to their spouse, children or other family members should they enter the nursing home. Many don’t realize that it is often impossible for them to be cared for at home. Rob can explain all of the rules involved in gifting assets, assets that are exempt and assets that are not. He can develop a plan going forward for you or your loved one to protect assets while at the same time qualify for the best possible health care.
Your estate plan is interrelated to your nursing home plan. Rob can explain the use of gifting and trusts. He can produce your Last Will and Testament, Power of Attorney and Living Will and Health Care Proxy that can best suit your needs. Unfortunately, not all attorneys are familiar with nursing home planning and its relation to your estate plan. Rob can integrate these objectives to develop and plan for the future.
The firm has produced literally thousands of Wills over the years (almost 10,000). As a free service the firm will maintain for you, your original Will Power of Attorney and Health Care Proxy so that it won’t be lost, stolen or destroyed by fire.
As a result of our estate planning activities, the firm has handled thousands of estates. Most estates are in Erie County, but many have been in the counties of Wyoming, Allegheny, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Niagara, Genesee and others. Upon the death of a loved one we extend our deepest condolences and offer our help in the probate process.
Rob can also represent you should you be charged with a crime. He has experience handling hundreds of driving while intoxicated cases. He has appeared in almost every Town and Village court in Erie County and surrounding counties. He has also tried cases in Supreme and County Courts.
If you have a real estate transfer or closing or a business formation need, Rob also handles these matters.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Personal Injury and other civil litigation
- Nursing home planning
- Estates, probate and administration
- Estate Planning
- Wills, powers of attorneys, living wills and health care proxies
- Real Estate closings, transfers between relatives
- Business formations, corporations, partnerships, LLCs
- Criminal defense
- New York, 1981
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1981
- State University of New York, Buffalo School of Law, Buffalo, New York
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1980
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1977
- Honors: cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- St. Thomas More Guild
Pro Bono Activities
- Church / Historical Society / Adult Day Care
- Moose Lodge 370
- Structured settlement of man struck by municipal police car who sustained traumatic brain injuries and loss of limb
- Settlement for estate of woman in fatal accident due to black ice
- Settlement for woman involved in MVA with oil company truck
- Settlement for woman with traumatic brain and physical injuries sustained as passenger in vehicle struck by dump truck