Five Steps To Take If You Are Stopped For DWI
If you are pulled over by a New York police officer for DWI, there are certain actions that you can take to protect your interests. The experienced DWI attorneys at Hall Ricketts Gurbacki, P.C., recommend following the five pieces of advice below:
- Follow the directions of the police officers. Rarely can you win your case by pleading or arguing on the side of the road.
- Make sure the police officers are aware of any physical or mental impairment that you may have that is not related to the consumption of alcohol.
- Remember that refusal to take a Breathalyzer test or to perform field sobriety tests will make it more difficult to convict you of driving while intoxicated but will result in more serious suspensions or revocations of your driving privileges. Conversely, taking tests and making admissions will help maintain driving privileges and may also help your court case. However, very often it increases the chances of conviction.
- Ask to speak to a lawyer before you take a Breathalyzer test (even if it is late at night).
- Stay calm, be courteous and be polite.
Discuss Your Case And Protect Your Future
If you are charged with DWI, you need strong legal counsel to advocate on your behalf. Our lawyers can carefully evaluate your case and look for ways to lessen or dismiss your charges.
Call our East Aurora offices at 716-243-3515, or contact our firm online to secure the caring representation you need.