Promoting Long-Term Care For The Elderly

After decades of practice, Hall Ricketts Gurbacki, P.C., has counseled thousands of New York families on elder law issues and helped them to plan effectively for catastrophic health care costs or nursing home expenses.

Elder law applies to the difficult and often complicated financial, medical and residential issues and decisions that older people and their families face. Our caring lawyers provide comprehensive elder law services, including:

  • Elder abuse
  • Estate planning
  • Guardianship
  • In-home help
  • Living wills
  • Medical care
  • Medical insurance
  • Pensions
  • Powers of attorney
  • Retirement planning
  • Social Security benefits

If you require assistance with elder law concerns, or end-of-life planning, call our responsive attorneys at 716-243-3515 for quality legal counsel.

Evaluating Housing And Health Care Options

There are many choices of living arrangements and levels of health care for the elderly. Our lawyers are well-informed about the available options and have extensive experience helping individuals and families make decisions about elder law services, including:

  • Assisted living
  • Extended care facilities
  • Health care proxies
  • Home health aides
  • Hospice care
  • Independent living
  • Medicaid qualification and planning
  • Retirement communities
  • Medicare issues
  • Nursing homes
  • Reverse mortgages
  • Supplemental health insurance

Establishing Qualified Guardians

Our firm is experienced in representing families in need of a guardianship for elder relatives who are not able to care for themselves or to control their finances due to physical or mental limitations. The guardian then makes financial, legal and health care decisions for the dependent person, known as a ward.

The law also provides some less restrictive alternatives to guardianship:

  • Power of attorney — You grant legal rights to a person you designate to make decisions, but only when you become incapacitated.
  • Representative or protective payee — You authorize another person to manage certain benefits you receive, such as Social Security, veteran’s benefits, pensions, or public assistance.
  • Revocable trust — You set up a living trust with a relative, friend or financial institution as your co-trustee. Your co-trustee takes over only if you become incapacitated.

We listen to your concerns and advise on the relative benefits of the different options, depending on the situation.

Contact Our Lawyers For Compassionate Counsel

If you require assistance with elder care or long-term planning, call our East Aurora offices at 716-243-3515 for the compassionate legal counsel you deserve. You may also contact us online.