Can I Protect A Child Who Is Not Mine In The DHS System?

On Behalf of | Oct 19, 2015 | Uncategorized |

The sentiments for wanting to protect a child that is not a blood relative are pure and honorable. If the child is in the DHS system, the legalities over who has a rightful claim to the child can affect your honorable sentiments to want to protect them. There isn’t much easy when it comes to working with DHS, but Hall, Ricketts, Schuller and Gurbacki will do everything in their power to make sure that your voice is heard in a system that is run on bureaucracy and protocol. 


There is the potential to have a non-blood relative have guardianship over a minor child. However, there are a significant amount of regulations, red tape and rules that govern these allowances. The court will want to pursue what is in the best interest of the child; however, most DHS systems work tirelessly to assure that children remain with their blood relatives in order to keep some semblance of a family system alive.

While there may be absolutely nothing wrong with your home life, and you are able to provide a life for the child, care for him or her as if they were your own and give them a wonderful childhood, the courts may be restricted and your plea for guardianship may be rejected. This is through no fault of your own; it’s simply the restrictions of an established legal system.


While the guardianship would establish you as the day-to-day provider of parental responsibilities, the child would still legally be the child of his or her parents. Each guardianship has its own set of limitations and will need to be reviewed by an attorney to make sure that the child is being adequately protected while still having connection with his or her parents.


Some guardianships are only meant for temporary care of a minor due to an unexpected event in the child’s life. Others are set in place in hopes of making a permanent adoption a reality. Guardianships and adoptions require formal designation by the court system to establish the relationship and should be reviewed by an attorney as your representation in these delicate situations.

Choose to have an experience attorney on your side while working with the DHS system in hopes of protect a child for whom you deeply care. You need the help of Hall Ricketts Gurbacki, P.C.

Contact us today at 716-652-0828.