Have you ever tried to text and drive at the same time? Do you find yourself multitasking while behind the wheel? Distracted driving is a bigger problem than you may realize in New York, and diverting your attention away from the road can have debilitating consequences. Fortunately, there are proactive steps you can take to drive responsibly and avoid putting yourself and others in danger by engaging in distracted driving.
According to AAA Exchange, there are many simple things you can do before embarking on any journey to guarantee that your attention is focused on the road during your travels. Some of the things you can do include the following:
- Encourage your passengers to help you stay on task and avoid behaviors that may divert your attention.
- Eat meals before getting behind the wheel. If you absolutely have to eat, take foods that are easy and clean.
- Make sure you know the directions to where you are going. If this means programming a GPS unit, input your coordinates before leaving.
- Store loose cargo in a safe place where it won’t be sliding around or falling.
- If you are driving with children, let them know that needs will have to wait until you reach your destination. If a need is urgent, pull off of the road to a safe place and take care of your children.
- Never text while you are driving, or attempt to manipulate any electronic devices.
The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.