What is the Child Support Standards Chart?

On Behalf of | Sep 4, 2018 | Child Custody & Support |

If you are a parent who is going through a divorce or otherwise going through the process of getting child support set up, it can help to get an idea of how much you will pay or be paid. The Child Support Standards Chart comes from the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance and Child Support and is used to help you get an idea of how much child support will be ordered. The chart gives a rough estimate and estimates on the chart are all for lower end figures in a range.

The chart is set up to allow you to look up an estimated amount of support based on the number of children you have and the amount of your income. It provides the obligation amount annually. It also shows you the basic percentage of income that is generally used to help determine child support amounts.

The child support percentages are based on the number of children you have. For example, if you have three children, your obligation is 29 percent. If you just have one child, it is 17 percent, but if you have six children, then it will be at least 35 percent, but it could be more than that. This is just one small factor, though. Your income also plays a role in the percentage. If you make over $148,000 combined with your children’s other parent, then the percentage chart may not be used because the law does not require it to be used in this situation. This information is for education and is not legal advice.